Thursday, June 30, 2011

zucchini fries


I love zucchini.  This is a perfect recipe for the end of summer when you have so many zucchini you don't know what to do.  Until then, market zucchini are perfect.  My kids ate these with ketchup, I ate them plain.  Next time I might whip up a quick horseradish spiked mayo for a dip.  Yum!

Zucchini Fries - adapted from Martha Stewart

1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 large egg whites
2 large zucchini, halved crosswise and cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.  In a shallow dish (I used a pie plate) mix together panko, parmesan, basil, oregano, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper.  In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg whites.

Place 5-6 zucchini wedges in the bowl and toss with the egg whites.  Carefully remove the zucchini from the bowl and toss in the breadcrumb mixture.  Press each side to adhere crumbs to the zucchini.  Arrange zucchini on the baking sheets in a single layer.  Continue this process with all the zucchini.  Bake until the coating is golden brown and crisp, 20 minutes, flipping zucchini and rotating the sheets halfway through.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

No comments: